Frequently asked questions

Can I be evicted if I make a claim?

No. The law protects you if you make a claim and we will ensure the landlord is aware of the very grave consequences if they try to affect you because you make a claim.

How long do I have to wait for my landlord to carry out the necessary repairs?

Firstly, your landlord needs to be notified of the need for repairs. They are not under an obligation to repair it until theyare made aware of the fault. Then they have a reasonable time in which to fix the problem (unless it’s very urgent such as a broken boiler in which case they need to fix it immediately). The landlord is in breach of their duty after this period.

If the landlord fixes the problem can I still get compensation?

Yes, you are entitled to compensation for the period you have been inconvenienced or suffered after having given your landlord a reasonable opportunity to fix the problem.

Can I still claim if I am in arrears?

Yes, you can, but any money you owe your landlord will need to be taken into account on any settlement we make for you.

Can I still make a claim if I am on housing benefit?

Yes, you can.

What sort of landlord can I claim against?

You can make a claim against a local authority landlord, housing association, private individual,a company, or a large commercial landlord.

Should I stop paying the rent?

No, it is imperative you continue to pay the rent in full and on time. You have a duty to pay the rent, and if you don’t the landlord may be able to evict to you. However, we may be able to get your rent reduced or repaid for the period of your claim.

How long will it take?

It all depends whether your landlord wants to defend or settle your claim quickly. As your lawyers we will encourage as early a resolution as possible, hopefully within weeks or a few months.

How much compensation would l get?

That all depends on the length of time you are claiming for, and the extent of the damage to your property. We will try and negotiate a percentage of your weekly or monthly rent in accordance with case law.

How do you process my claim?

Firstly, we will write to your landlord setting out the need for repair asking them to sort out the problem within a specified time frame. If they don’t, we will instruct a specialist surveyor to draw up a report of the necessary repairs, present this to the landlord, and as a last resort, issue proceedings in the County Court, asking the court to order the landlord to carry out the necessary repairs and to award you compensation. We will only proceed with your claim if we are confident of success.

How do we pay you?

We take on the claim on a no-win no fee basis. That means we won’t ask you for any money upfront We will then incur court costs, and barrister fees if necessary and the cost of a surveyor’s expert report. When we settle the case we hope to be awarded most of our costs and expenses or we will negotiate these, and if there is a shortfall we will discuss this with you at the time and agree a fee out of your compensation up to a maximum of 50% of damages awarded to you.

Why should I use Paul Rooney Solicitors?

Paul Rooney Solicitors is a part of the Antony Hodari Legal Services Group who have been established as solicitors since 1984. We are experts and have specialised in claiming compensation for over 30 years. We have a dedicated team of legal specialists and we work with expert surveyors and the barristers. We will keep in touch regularly and ensure you are fully up-to-date and understand the process. If you want to know more about our business please visit